how to shut off water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i wish to extend my feed into downstairs cistern i closed stop cock underneath kitchen sink went to take off isolating vavle on feed to cistern and water just keeps flowing i ask what am i doing wrong do need to turn off outside stop cock or is there somewhere else in the house i can get rid of the excess water?

Sponsored Links
your down stairs cistern may be feed from your cold water stoage tank in your loft in the airing cupbaord there should be 2 * 22mm gate valves to isolate the supply one for hot one for cold.

Most old stop cocks don't work 100%, if the kitchen sink still runs after a few mins (to drain the upstairs pipes) then the stop cock is duff.

Of course the nuisance water from your cistern feed might just be water from the upstairs pipework.

thanks for your replies guys in the back of my mind i thought i might have to shut off gate valves to cistern hoping that you guys would say otherwise(after draining down to put a new shower in,it took forever)
the gate valves didn't close down completley and regarding stop cock my house is six years old i turned it on and off a couple of times a year so that it doesn't sieze but now it weeps!
thanks again guys!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back