How to soften surface of split slate for hearth

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.
I'm making a slate hearth with blue slate (recycle from a wall). I'm splitting the slate to approx 30mm thick then cutting it to required shapes - all fairly random.
After splitting the new exposed surface if a bit flaky/rough - its the look I'm after but some flaky bits are sharp. Is there a way to easily soften the surface?

The slate is blue slate and local and isn't perfect hence the split surfaces aren't 100%

Any advice welcome.[/b]

Sponsored Links
Polishing the slate with wax is a favorite way of making it shine, therefore an application of a hard wax might be a suitable way of applying a softening effect to split slate.

I live in a slate area and i know how sharp them bits can be so be careful.
I have just polished my slate window sills with briwax and they are now shinier than mr sheen.....try it.
Or you can buy slate oil that seals the slate and gives it a bit of a sheen and not so shiny as briwax.

Sponsored Links
I live in a slate area and i know how sharp them bits can be so be careful.
I have just polished my slate window sills with briwax and they are now shinier than mr sheen.....try it.
Or you can buy slate oil that seals the slate and gives it a bit of a sheen and not so shiny as briwax.

thanks for the tip re briwax. I did a sample cut and used a boiled 50:50 linseed oil/white spirit mix as per another post on here. Came up really well. Yes those bit are sharp... :!:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back