How to solve a 'dead leg' on hot water pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Apologies in advance for a probably stupid question, I know absolutely nothing about plumbing!

I have recently had a new washing machine fitted and the hot water pipe no longer needed has been capped off but I think it must have been done wrong and has resulted in a 'dead leg' as now the boiler comes on when any cold tap is turned on. There is also some occasional spluttering from the taps when first turned on.

Is this a problem that I can solve on my own or do I need to get a plumber in? Bearing in mind that the only one I know did this capping off in the first place.

I have read some forum posts and they say to "Run some water fast out of your capped off hot water pipe in case you trapped some air inside." Does this really mean to open the pipe and let it leak out water, then close it back up?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Has he capped the actual pipe? It would be more normal and sensible to fit a 3/4 brass cap and fibre washer to the now redundant hot service valve. You can then run an old washing machine hose off it to bleed out any air. Get him back.

Yeah, unless there is still a valve there then get him back and have it removed back to it's Tee off the feed.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advice! I'll take a look and see exactly what's what.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back