How to solve leak under patio doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Recently had 'stacker' type patio doors fitted. Although it has rained many times since then with no problems after first *big* rainstorm last night I find water is coming in underneath them at one end (red arrow in picture).

The doors have been packed up to level them, leaving a gap of maybe 5mm underneath. Should this not have been sealed somehow with spray foam? I don't know what the normal procedure should be. There is a possibility that sitting water on the outside frame (green arrowed) is leaking in somehow but I think this less likely.

Fitter says maybe it was installed too close to the ground (!?!). Its 120mm off the ground level outside and there is no sitting water there anyway (under the deck), so I think this is him trying to shift the blame. Window supplier is going to come and check anyway.

My feeling is that this simply needs to be sealed/filled in underneath where it was packed up when it all dries out. If any pro fitters out there can confirm if this is right, and suggest a suitable product (spray foam, silicon?) if so I would appreciate it. All the best, Nick

Sponsored Links
I would say that it should have been sat on cement or sealant, i assume if it is coming directly under the cill then the warmth from inside is drawing it in.

Yeah, the window supplier took a look and said that when they fit them they put a bed of heavy sealant on the floor to sit them onto. So I will have to wait for it all to dry and then seal underneath.

In the UK we would sit frame on a timber sill raising it from ground level , yours seems to be very low allowing heavy rain to come in?

Sponsored Links
Yeah, as I wrote above its 120mm off the floor, the deck is sitting on the old patio. I doubt water would have pooled to that level to let it seep under the patio doors but I suppose it is possible. The main issue seems to be that the builder left a gap under the doors when it was being level, rather than bedding it into something.

Once its dry I will get some sealant along there, also might unscrew a few deck timbers and make sure the ground at that point is low enough. Might take it down a bit or make sure its in a condition to ensure any water soaks right away.

I had a simar problem a few years ago when I had new patio doors fitted, and the rain came in at the bottom. I must admit my doors were higher off the outside ground than yours, though. I cured my problem by buying a roll of 'bitumen' tape. This was about 5 inches wide, with thin metal/foil cover, and fairly thick, soft bitumen underneath. I fitted it on the floor along the entire length of the patio doors, ensuring that it overlapped the bottom of the door frame by about 3/8 of an inch or 1cm, and pressed it down firmly It has cured the problem of water seeping in permanantly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back