How to Source Replacement Door Plinths

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So I want to replace these

like for like or as near as damn it. They're 45mm at thickest going to 22mm, 130mm wide, 210mm high.

The replacements need to be fairly similar to blend in the the rest of the Georgian building, and timber since they'll be in an unheated porch, and that rules out MDF.

I've googled around "plinth blocks" and only found the unimaginative blocks even I could knock up, but nothing with a curve to it.

Am I missing a magic word in google because I don't know the correct name or is it a chunk from a profiled length? Suggestions of how I best source please.

Sponsored Links
Tried them and they were useless :(

I was hoping someone on here might say "Pillock, that's 130mm DMR profile" or some such.

To cut one or two of these would be a fairly simple job for a workshop with a bandsaw and a narrow blade. It wouldn't be exact, but it would be fairly close. Have you tried any of the joinery shops local to you?

In the past I've had to make-up repro ones on site using a combination of power planer, hand planes, gouges and sanding (using dowels as shape formers). They aren't rocket science, but they do take time

Sponsored Links
Yer there are a couple who do bespoke work so once I get one of the old ones out, I'll get some prices.

And the prices are ... eye watering.

I sort of expected as much given tooling would be involved and the run is ridiculously short.

Time for Plan B

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back