How to splice this wood?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a piece of wood on the front gable of our house that is quite rotten at the end.

I want to splice in a new piece, but wondered which is the best angle to make the cut - see image below.

Cheers.

View media item 94761

Sponsored Links
Thanks foxhole.

Paint has just been stripped off in order to be redecorated, and the rotten area was bigger than expected.

Apart from the end the wood is very solid.

Paradoxically, if the wood had never been painted, it probably would not have rotted. Splits and cracks in paint films occur over time as the paint becomes brittle due to ageing, with the changes in temperature and humidity causing the timber to expand and contract. Cracks may let in water, but the rest of the film of paint can prevent the water from evaporating encouraging wet rot.

Once the timber is spliced, there are 3 new potential end grain surfaces to suffer future paint cracking, saturation and rot.

The traditional finish for exposed timber was a lime wash as explained here:

http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/lavenham-guildhall/things-to-see-and-do/view-page/item873169/

Sponsored Links
Part of the rotting I think was also due to a decorative bit of wood which was spliced onto the bottom of what you can see, and thus introduced a split on the end.

I'm just debating whether it's best not to redo this with the new bit of wood.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back