Window Cill - Rot - Repair Options

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have discovered an area of rot on the exterior window cill on my period 1930s windows.

It seems to only cover a small section. I do not think it penetrates that deep into the wood.

When I tap it hard with the plastic handle of a screwdriver it sounds solid. However, when jabbing with the sharp end it sinks in a bit and the wood appears a bit soft.

What is considered the best long term repair option.

1. To cut out the rot and fill with external wood filler, if the area is small?

or

2. To cut out the rot and splice in a new section of timber?

I actually have period timber I reclaimed off my neighbours wooden windows. So it will be of the same age.

Based on that, would 2. be a better option? What are the issues with either solution?

Out of interest, is there a size issue with splicing in timber? Or can small sections be repaired with a splice? In addition, how is the splice joined with new and old; some exterior grade glue?

Many Thanks!

Sponsored Links
At this stage I think I would give filler a try after digging the rot out - but only the two part epoxy type. This stuff cures in minutes and is dead easy to sand to shape.
John :)

"It seems to only cover a small section" - seeming can be like guessing. Why not post a pic?

once you have removed the rot,look into wood hardener and resin repair.good stuff.

Sponsored Links
"It seems to only cover a small section" - seeming can be like guessing. Why not post a pic?

Your wish is granted!

The area may only be near the surface. When tapping with the handle of a screwdriver, it all sounds solid. When tappign with the pointed end, it is clear some of the wood is a bit softer and small indentations are visible. Specifically inthe area around the split.

I suspect it is not too deep, and may only be superficial....

View media item 95644View media item 95643View media item 95642View media item 95641View media item 95640View media item 95639

I'd get every scrap of that paint off to kick off with.....looking at the state of the putty, there may be more problems than you can see.....
Filler is by far the easiest repair - obviously - and it won't last forever but it will delay the inevitable.
It is possible to splice a new sill in there but its not the easiest of tasks.
Are the timber mullions in a reasonable state?
John :)

They look to be.....however I can't dig below the surface as I do not have to all the tools to fix it or make it good....I do not want to start somthing and open a can of worms I can't fix.

Hmm, maybe I should get someone used to timber window repair......

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back