Cill replacement.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What is the best way to replace a rotted cill from a sash window, i might be able to cut out the rotted area and use a filler but i'm not sure how bad it is untill i strip the paint off, also any advice on which filler i could use?

Sponsored Links
roger - first try to discover why the wooden sill has rotted and fix this first; maybe overflowing gutter above (very common) causing water to cascade onto the frame.

If the whole sill has gone rotten then it needs to be replaced, trouble is getting an exact size match for your existing sill (probably imperial size) as the stuff now available is metric. Anyway, if you want to replace make one angled cut across the sill (why an angle? - enables you to lift one end of the sill out, a vertical cut would cause a jamb), then remove all the old stuff. Tip - before you do any of this secure the boxed frame to the wall with a couple of frame-fixings (access via the sash pockets). How to secure the new sill? - depends on the construction of your box-sashes. Obviously, you can't use any of the original joints, so one dodge is to fashion a couple of blocks (the size of the weight boxes), these are glued then lowered down the boxes below the weights 'till the rest on the new sill. Introduce screws through/into these blocks to hold the frame/sill as one. The sill can be fixed into the stone sill then careful use of frame sealant should make it weather-tight. Make sure that all old paint is burnt-off, good quality primer, couple of undercoats, gloss finish (only use oil-based paints for this type of work, although there maybe other posters who'll say water-based paints are OK - they aren't in my opinion).

Filling - use an epoxy filler not polyfiller/tetrion/etc.

Symptoms-thank's for your help, I haven't seen a better description in any of my books! I will try the epoxy route first. Have you used the window care system? I've seen it mentioned a few times in the forums,
roger

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back