Replacing a rotten window cill

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

I've removed all the wet rot from our window cill.

I suppose I should now get a new cill and cut down the length, and just connect it to the existing cill, using glue and screws?

Thing is, the existing cill is all jaggered and rough (as per the picture) so my new (cleanly cut) cill won't connect tightly, there will be long large gaps along where the old and new meet.

Is there some sort of filler I should use before applying the new cill so it fills all the voids before I push the new cill on? Or what do I use?

Any help appreciated.

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Ronseal high performance wood filler is a two part product made for repairing such as your cill. Can be sanded down when set and then painted.

So do I smear the filler onto the extg cill then push my new cill against it, remove the excess filler that squidges out, and put some screws through my new cill into the existing cill to hold it on place?

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
I'd use a fibre glass paste personally. Totally waterproof and tough as anything.

So do I smear the fibre glass paste against the extg cill, then screw the new cill onto it, wipe off the excess?

Thanks.

Yes. It'll set like nothing else you'll ever try. It's really handy stuff to have around the house. Sandable too. They make boats out of it so it's pretty watertight.

if you dont want to take it back to level across the length,then screw on some timber and resin repair it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back