Granite window cill

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What's the best way to fix a granite window (internal) cill? I have 2 options:

1.) Remove the tiles from underneath and then flatten out the surface before fitting the cill in place.

2.) Flatten out the surface on top of the tiles and then fit the cill.

I also have a gap between the window & the tiles. I was wondering if there are any problems that I haven't envisaged from using expanding foam to plug the gap & provide more insulation.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Oscar

Sponsored Links
could you describe what is there at the moment a little more or even better post a picture as its hard to visualise what your mean

forget that, re-read it and i assume you have a tiled cill and reveals? IF so remove the tiles on the cill and set your cill on a bed of tile cement/mortar depending on the size of it and the depth you have to make up.

As for the gap between tile and window, do you mean on the cill or reveal? As surely your new cill is big enough to cover the whole area and you will be removing the tiles to fit it anyway?

forget that, re-read it and i assume you have a tiled cill and reveals? IF so remove the tiles on the cill and set your cill on a bed of tile cement/mortar depending on the size of it and the depth you have to make up.

As for the gap between tile and window, do you mean on the cill or reveal? As surely your new cill is big enough to cover the whole area and you will be removing the tiles to fit it anyway?

Only the cill is tiled. The reveals require no work as such. Previously I had a tiled cill that did not extend back to the window but this gap was covered by a UVPC slat. I have removed the UVPC (which I will not be replacing) as the granite cill that extends back the full depth to cover up the gap between the window & what is currently the tiles.

As for the gap, I would like to ensure that once my cill is in, it's fully insulated. I don't fancy a gap existing below my cill once it's in.

Anyways, I was wondering:

1.) Once level, what's the best way to stick the cill down.
2.) Should I not remove the tiles, what's the best way to approach it? I'm not particularly confident about any vibrations that may affect the windows from any chipping away at the tiles (I live on the 5th floor & I'm probably just being paranoid).

Sponsored Links
where did you get your granite from? I'm after a granite window cill but can only find places that offer it being cut from a full size worktop.

realistically you can stick it down with most things as its not going to be subject to anyone trying to lift it with much force. Personally i would remove the tiles fill your gap with foam and then stick it down with tile cement.

If your definately not keen to remove the tiles you can use tile cement to stick it over the top of them but make sure its very clean so give it a good scrubb over with sugar soap or similar

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back