Retain internal window cill or replace?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am replacing the windows in a rectangular bay.

The existing internal cill is wooden and is in good condition.

Three options have been suggested by different installers;
1. Leave the window cill as it is.
2. Leave the widow cill but cover it with white board.
3. Replace it completely as this will give a better finish.

If I choose option 2, will this result in a cill which looks too big as the board will fixed on top of the wooden cill?

Will option 3 give a better finish?

Thanks, denb

Sponsored Links
wedge69 said:
But if it's in good condition why go to the extra cost and effort of having it replaced at all?

The fitters will probably muller the sill board when they rip out the old & install the new frames; depending on the thickness of the new frames, you may be left with a gap between the old board & new frame; it probably won’t match the new windows; it will look naff up next to the new windows.

I had all new Polyboard sills fitted, they look much better than the original mixture of varnished & white painted wood I had. They were well worth the little extra they should have cost if I hadn’t negotiated in with the total cost of all the work I had done. Why only do half a job? But of course it’s a personal choice & up to denb what he ultimately does.

Sponsored Links
I can see your point of view Richard, and I think you hit the nail on the head - it's all down to personal choice.

Slight hijack - you may or may not remember that you gave me lots of advice on double glazing - well we had it fitted last week after enquiring at a few companies and we couldn't be happier with the results. Thanks to your help I knew all the questions to ask!

We kept our existing cills btw. This was partly because of the way they fitted into the wall (they kind of over hang the side, hard to explain). The "mess" between the window and the old plaster line was onyl slight, and was covered with a half inch uPvc strip, but it was so professionaly done you would think it was part of the window.

I put plastic internal cills on my bays. you can get them in some pretty deep sizes.

The ones i fitted were 600mm deep and 2200mm wide

bay.jpg

wedge69 said:
you may or may not remember that you gave me lots of advice on double glazing - well we had it fitted last week after enquiring at a few companies and we couldn't be happier with the results. Thanks to your help I knew all the questions to ask!

It can be hassle free if you get it right, glad it all worked out OK for you.

diyisfree said:
I put plastic internal cills on my bays. you can get them in some pretty deep sizes.

The ones i fitted were 600mm deep and 2200mm wide
& very nice it looks too!

Cheers Richard,

Looks pretty good now the plaster has dried and its all decorated.

saves the hastle of painting the cills :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back