Laminate/Engineered Window Cills

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We live in a newish build with wooden double glazing. We are the first owners, property built 3 years ago but we only bought recently.Windows look OK but the cills look dreadful. Paint job was supposed to be guaranteed 10 years but not only do the cills look dreadful (lumpy/bumpy/messy ) they are also splitting. Partner has been a painter and decorator for 30 + years and has never come across laminated cills. Doesn't seem to be a great idea as proven by the cills already splitting. What can be done? Under Consumer Protection law supplier has to repair or replace (if goods are not fit for purpose or of a satisfactory quality). Repairing (i.e painting over the splits/cracks is NOT going to address the actual problems being created due to the cills being laminated.) Supplier has offered to paint over the splits but all this does is remove supplier from liability (after the warranty runs out!) WE ARE NOT HAPPY but what options are there other than replace the windows? Thanks

Sponsored Links
hi,
can you post some pictures?
I think that the supplier is not removed from liability until he resolve your problem by repairing/replacing the cills.

thanks for your reply I will try to attach some photos that will give you some idea of what I am talking about. Photos don't really capture just how bad these cills look but you can see the lumps/bumps/splits etc.
DSC_1409.JPG
DSC_1410.JPG
DSC_1411.JPG
DSC_1412.JPG
DSC_1414.JPG

Sponsored Links
hy,
for me the best solution is to cover the existing cill with a new alluminium powder coating or pvc cill

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back