Please Help!!!Waterproofing an internal wooden window cill?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - I have a typical 1928 semi Detached house with x2 UPVC rounded bay (5 pane) windows (upstairs & downstairs) that front the house.

The upstairs bedroom bay has the original wooden cill which was never replaced and this is only about 2.5 inches" wide in 5 joined sections all along the length of the bay.

The problem I have is that we suffer pretty horendous condensation on these windows in the late autumn/winter months in the bedroom. I know we need to cure this issue, but the problem is that the condensation streams down the windows and onto the the wooden cill.

Over time this has lifted the internal satin paint and caused some rotting. I don't just want to re-sand/paint to find that in a short time that the problem comes back and re-lifts the paint.

Is there a way to waterproof this cill, so that the condenation just sits on the surface for wiping, without causing the cill to detriorate?

I know we need to sort out the condensation issue, but I need a remedy to properly protect the internal wooden cill?

Any ideas. I've googled this and there are all sorts of supposed solutions that involve epoxy resin (to replace/fill rotten areas), to priming, painting and applying waterproof sealants, but need to some expert advice on all the steps to follow to resolve this.

piccies of problem at: //www.diynot.com/network/computersaysno/albums/

Thx

Sponsored Links
Can I ask if there is also a more traditional restoration method, other than just applying a upvc cill cover?

Sponsored Links
Three coats of oil based gloss after priming should do it, water proofing is not required since gloss is already.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back