Filling large gaps in rotted windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
*Sorry may have posted this in wrong forum so tried to move it to windows and doors but I cant delete it!*

Hi
I'm hoping I might be able to receive some advice on how best to fill the large gaps that have come about as a result of me preparing the windows/cill for painting. They had previously been filled with some type of filler but this looked a real mess so I removed it, along with some additional rotted wood, and the result is what you see in the photos. These windows by the way do not open, they are fixed frames holding in the glass.
How best now to fill these voids? Do I need now to pack it all out inside before trying to smooth a wood filler up flush to the frame?
Any advice on this would be much appreciated.
Thanks
Shaun

Sponsored Links
i think with the amount of rot on that then it may be best to carry out a proper repair and replace the timber.

or you could go down the resin route.

As stated, depending on your skills, either scarf in a new piece of wood, or use a resin filler.

Sponsored Links
Assuming the inner portion of the cill is reasonable, you need a half cill replacement which was a standard joiners job, certainly in my day.
First you need to remove whats left showing in your image, it's beyond repair and will simply spread other rot unless it's cut out. Then you need to cut back vertically, to reasonable wood under the window, leaving the inner cill in place. now a half cill will have to be fashioned and when it's finally fitted in place both surfaces heavily coated in oil based paint, the thicker the better. This will fill any slight gaps (assuming you've cut the under window remaining cill straight and the replacement half cill to suit) Skew nailed from outside and long screws through remaining inner cill (you need to strip the trim cill from the window first) job done. All that's needed now is a paint and sealant around the cill/window to complete...pinenot :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back