Conservatory cill replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have a home built wickes hardwood conservatory
It was mid way between a kit and full build, with some premade components to be assembled to instructions and bits of timber that you'd cut to instructions that included under/over measurements so they'd fit into the modular build

I will try to add pictures

It was basically a wooden cill build onto a brick base, fitted on three sides the fourth being the house. Then timber frames were added and later filled with double glazed units
The front has a wooden patio door with a slightly different cill profile

The cill was profiled so that the frames fitted onto the cill with screws and mastic
At a corner, a post fills the gap

I built this 30 years ago so a bit rusty on the description

Now, a cill has rotted, and a gap has opened up on the corner . The corner post has also rotted a little at the base

I would like to ideally replace the cill at least along one run, into a 90° corner.

I have access to a workshop saw bench , a router, a festool circular saw and festool chop saw

My basic question is how to achieve a cill profile that I could somehow insert from outside to under the panels, and how to hold everything up without sag while I do it. I could add a wood block to the inside then use a prop to hold the structure up?

With the corner, rather than replace the entire post, should I remove half the post by cutting the corner with two vertical cuts, then insert a new piece of timber, or concentrate on replacing the entire bottom where it has rotted? And scarf (?) the horizontal join by cutting/sanding the area?

I presume that getting a premade cill as a basis to modify is better than stankrting with a massive chunk of timber

Sorry for the long winded question

Sponsored Links
A bit tricky to answer without pics.

Do you mean the cill section was either part of the bottom of the frame, or was fitted underneath the frame.

If so, I would cut off the cill flush with the framework with a multi tool - fein type and make a new cill projection and face screw it.

If you were near sussex Id offer to machine up an iroko cill section for you.

I will try to get some pictures together
I still have the plans somewhere that show a cross section of the cill with luck

The cill was fixed with frame fixers to form a ring around the base then the panels screwed down into it
The floor inside is ceramic tiled

My concern is getting a good fixing for the new cill - the original has quite an overhang - into whatever is left
I didn't think of cutting the cill off flush with the face of the panels and fixing a cut down cill back on

I should have said that I also have a Bosch multi cutter

Pictures and scans of I can get them to follow

Sponsored Links
I would say its past it's useful life, had one myself for 20years before it stated to show signs of rot, demolished it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back