How to stop a rug 'crawling' around the room?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a large (3x4m), thick heavy rug (just able to carry with one person) placed on the thin carpet in our living room.

Despite the weight... It takes two of us to move it... It seems to move about an inch per day always in one direction. People walk across it in both directions equally.

Why does this happen and is there a way to prevent it?

Sponsored Links
You'vegot gremlins living under the carpet that are trying to escape. You can get double sided tape and all sorts of stuff to stop rugs moving, but they may not work on the carpet.

The carpet under the rug has a pile that naturally tend to lean one way or the other when compressed. Every time someone walks across your rug, the fabrics of the pile lean to the side and push the rug along in that direction, only a little, but each time adds up!
How to stop it?
Well, you could turn your carpet around, but then the rug would move the other way! (No, I'm being silly)
I think the only solution would be to fix your rug to the carpet underneath. There must be many options: velcro pads glued or stitched(?) to the carpet and the underside of the rug.
A simpler method would be to knock in a couple of (short) nails through the rug and carpet into the floorboards (presumably) underneath. The heads of the nails could be made to disappear into the pile. Use short nails, as longer ones might penetrate into pipes or electrical cables beneath the floorboards.

Sponsored Links
As JJ mentioned , thats stuff is brillaint and some pound shops also sell it. Used it on my scooter seat to stop any travel when braking hard, feels like you are glued to the seat.

I tried it on my hall carpet, it moved all over the place and just meant that I had two rugs on the move. Needless to say, it's now in the bin.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back