Floor/wall in room over stairs - hollow section?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Firstly, many thanks to all those who post here - your advice has helped me no end with all manner of things.

There's one thing I haven't been able to find an answer to, so if anyone can help it would be very much appreciated...

A section of one of the bedrooms in my house (1920s) is above the stairs. As you start to walk up the stairs, there's a slope above your head that follows the slope of the stairs, and this sloping section protrudes in the room above - at the bottom of the wall, for about a foot into the room, and about 18 inches across. It's very much like a large wedge where the floor joins the wall (bit of a nuisance because you can't put anything there that has legs on).

It's covered with something that looks like a sort of thick multi-layered cardboard, supported on fairly thin wooden struts by the feel of it, and sounds hollow behind. It's a bit tatty and ripped where it meets the floor (probably where furtniture legs have been placed against it) so I was hoping to replace it. I haven't pulled the whole lot off yet to have a look, so if anyone has any ideas as to how best to replace it, I'd be grateful.

I'd guess that a sheet of plywood would do the job better than the present covering, but thought I'd ask first...

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back