How to stop hose kinking on reel...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all,

I've got a 19mm (or 3/4" in old money) garden hose that I've just bought a reel for (most ordinary Hozelock-style reels won't take 3/4 hose).

However, when I've wound it on, as you can see in the attached photo it kinks badly, meaning flow is greatly reduced and really the entire length must be unreeled to use it.

image.jpg

I know with the hozelock reels there is a spring which is inserted into the end of the hose to prevent kinking, but I can't find those for 3/4".

I'm just wondering if anyone has any suggestions for this one?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Couldn't you just leave a larger loop in the hose before you begin to reel it up? It wouldn't kink then.

Pass it through the next gap in the reel. Then cable tie the hose to the reel like this to maintain the larger radius bend....

hose.jpg

Gaz :)

Don't say that Gaz - thats too obvious an answer :)

Sponsored Links
Buy an X-hose instead! I've had one for 6 months and it won't kink, will fit in a shoe box and stretches to 100'. Best hose I've ever had. Would not go back to the "solid" type hoses again.

Isn't the central connection supposed to take the external feed with the hose connection on the inside?

Thanks for the advice. I did try it like suggested above, but due to the fact that the connection swivels about the centre it didn't make much difference. It just seems to be a terrible design.

Newboy - yes, that's what I thought, but the instructions seemed otherwise, and it seems impossible to modify it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back