How to strip strip skirting boards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

Sorry im a newbie to decorating diy.

House was built in 2002. I want the skirting boards to be the same white as the fireplace im trying to paint which is satinwood.

At the moment they are gloos and have had a fair few goods added to them over the years to 'freshen them up' by me.

However as I now dont want gloss. Which discolours quick anyway (non smoking house) wants the best way to get rid of the gloss? Sand paper? Paint stripper? If its sand paper then which number?

Thanks in advance.

Danielle

Sponsored Links
Speaking from experience, I would rather rip out and replace skirting than attempt to fully strip them.

As you're repainting, you just want to roughen the surface a little; use a medium-grit paper 120, or even 80, to lightly sand the surface. Wipe down and dust off the skirting before you go in with your paint.

I used a primer before using my satin, as the adhesion wasn't very good over the sanded gloss.

Thank you. I sanded them lightly and then 2 coats of paints. Look really well. Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back