How to support my patio

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hiya,

We’re looking to put a patio in at the end of the garden, nowhere near the house. Part of it will just be digging out grass and laying the base, but the lawn is raised by about 150mm then drops to a footpath. We want to patio the full width of the garden including over the footpath, so my question is, how do I lay the base over this part as it will not have support at the front or side from the lawn. Will I need a tiny retaining wall?

Hopefully there’s two images attached which will explain what I’m trying to say…

Attachments

• EF597AAB-6EA1-48F4-B89F-6DBC535496B3.jpeg
    EF597AAB-6EA1-48F4-B89F-6DBC535496B3.jpeg
    866.5 KB · Views: 71
  • 1CC7D55F-6AEE-4D23-912C-BB17D770E357.jpeg
    1CC7D55F-6AEE-4D23-912C-BB17D770E357.jpeg
    635.7 KB · Views: 66
Sponsored Links
If it is higher than the thickness of the slabs you will lay then a course of bricks to be just below the edge will help to retain everything and to hide the view of the base material. a bit like that, you most likely only need a single course if the height difference is small.

Great, thanks. Yep I think one row of bricks should do it. What would we need to foundation wise for the bricks?

Sponsored Links
just a wider than bricks puddle of sand cement mortar, bias it to more under the slabs if you have lawn coming up to the bricks, the extra width helps stop the bricks from leaning over. Dont try and copy the caravan dweller technique shown above in my pic when you lay the slabs/stone. I could just lift the stones by hand, no bolster and hammer required to lift them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back