Decking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm thinking of putting in some decking in my garden come spring time ready for the summer. But am a little unsure about how to do this. As you walk out of the back door, I have a patio area and then a lawn.

Now if I put the decking down, it would go over the patio and partly on to the lawn - how would I go about doing this? i.e. I'll have the framework below the decking on a hard patio floor and on soft grass - this can't be right can it?

Also, the framework which sits below the decking would rot sitting on a patio and grass with rain or even ground moisture wouldn't it? how should this be kept dry?

As a quick guide, what are the steps in laying decking?

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Had a look at those results, they don't really have the answers that I'm looking for to be honest?

You might want to ask individual questions, rather than "how do I build a deck?". There's loads of posts on here about how decks are constructed.....I know, cos I have written quite a lot of them :(

Sponsored Links
Lol.... unfortunately, that's exactly what i need to know - how to build one.... ?

How do I keep the frame work dry to begin with? Other than treating it with preserver as I'm sure this will fade after a few years and then would the entire deck need to be lifted up and frame work replaced and then the deck relaid?

secondly, as the framework needs to be laid on to 2 different types of grounding (first part - concrete patio, second part - grass), how do I make sure it is stable and stay in place? (doesn't sink etc).

Thanks.

Simply suspend the frame which sits over the grass on concreted in posts, the frame that is over the patio can be placed on bricks/blocks etc to achieve the correct height (assuming the patio is sound), with the weight of the deck on them they will not go anywhere.

Not sure why you are worried about keeping the framework dry? You use treated timber as with most outdoor joinery. Of course it will eventually rot but by the time it does the deck will look horrendous anyway and be ready for replacment.

I built a deck last year, on a 45 degree bank at the back of the garden. Basically sunk 4x4 posts 18" into holes in the bank, and built a retaining wall at the back, then suspended a frame on these. Then boarded it. 3.5m x 5m deck, using proper decking boards, and a frame made from 3x2, plus the 4x4 posts, and a handrail constructed from 2x2 and handrails, cost about £1600 in timber from a timber merchants.

You're going to have to dig some holes in your lawn, sink some posts in, then fix your frame to that, and then board. if the decking meets the house, make sure you leave a damp gap, and you might not want lawn growing under the decking as you wont be able to keep it under control. Weed control fabric / and or a sprinkling of sharp sand can control the weeds. In fact i would brush sharp sand into the covered patio before decking to keep any weeds under the patio at bay.

If anyone disagrees with any of this, please say. Open to comments and advice.

Many thanks for that. If I were to use treated wood, what on average would be the life span of the deck and frame work below it? I live in Essex to give you an idea of the weather.

Also, are timber merchants best for the supply of wood? They do standard decking etc?

Timber merchants, as long as you find a good one, are the way to go, DIY shops are easily 40-50% more for this kind of timber. I would expect at least 10 years from the timber, probably 15. I over-engineered the frame with a tight custom lattice constuction that allows the timber to expand without becoming loose.

With a TM you are more likely to get custom work done at a reasonable price, for example, to clad the crumbling brick face wall further down the garden I needed 6x1 which they didnt sell, so they ripped a load of 6x2 for free, saving me a fortune in unwanted timber cost.

Best thing to do is to get at least two quotes, then go to your favourite, and quote the other's price, minus 1-2%, then if they can't beat it but you are happy enough with them as a company, or they can match it, go for it, on the expectation that you trust them and may have more work for them. They will go the extra mile, or at least they always have for me.

Best of luck.

Thanks guys, just checked out some shops today - what's the main difference between the hardwood and softwood type of decking? What are the main differences and wat is everyone's advice on which is better?

Thanks guys, just checked out some shops today - what's the main difference between the hardwood and softwood type of decking? What are the main differences and wat is everyone's advice on which is better?

i wouldn't get too hung up on hardwoods vs softwoods... if you watch QI you'll know balsa wood is a hardwood, and Yew is a softwood.. !!

just get a reasonably priced pressure treated timber... mine is 8 years old so far and has changed colour, but is structurally sound. And we're now thinking of reconfiguring the garden, so it may come up before it falls apart !!!

I saw that the hardwood was literally double the price of the soft and so wanted to know what the difference between the 2 is? Is there a major difference between the 2 to justify the price increase? Or is it just a way for retailers to make some money?

Also, when it comes to treating the deck (either soft or hardwood), is it okay to treat just the top part of it and not the bottom as obviously there will be no access to the bottom side of it?

The Hardwood decking is a much higher end product. It looks so much better in my opinion and the main advantage is aesthetic. It is more labour intensive to lay too.

It will last longer and is still vulnerable to grime but in a slightly different way. It more silvers when left untreated much like teak outdoor furniture.

Most people that have enough money to put in an hardwood deck will pay to have it maintained though.

The Hardwood decking is a much higher end product. It looks so much better in my opinion and the main advantage is aesthetic. It is more labour intensive to lay too.

It will last longer and is still vulnerable to grime but in a slightly different way. It more silvers when left untreated much like teak outdoor furniture.

Most people that have enough money to put in an hardwood deck will pay to have it maintained though.

Thanks for that - I take it that you can get products which can be painted on to softwood decking to make it look like hardwood decking though right? Cuprinol or that sort of thing?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back