Decking support advise

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

I'm about to start a project to put a deck down to span an area between the edge of our patio and the hedge boundary of our garden.
The distance between is approx 1.3m
The ground slopes away from the patio and at its furthest point is probably a max of 40cm drop

I was thinking of having the decking rest on the patio with an overlap

I would then sink some posts by the hedge to attach the joists to.

Would this be the right way to go, or is it a bad idea to have the decking resting on the patio surface with only one end bolted to posts?
and are there any things I need to be wary of. I am planning on using postcrete and dig 700mm holes (if I can go that deep)

end result decked area would be 4.5m x 1.8m

Thanks in advance,
Matt

Sponsored Links
Yep, thats right - will probably install some lights along the edge

Sounds fine, though I might be inclined to anchor the partion of deck that's on the patio in one or two spots, just to be sure. Don't over-engineer it, though.

Sponsored Links
thanks for the response,
how would you recommend I anchor the portion thats on the patio?
It will be running (on one edge) alongside a concrete base that my fence sits in - so I *could* bolt it to that, I suppose..

That sounds fine, 700mm is overkill. 450mm I fine for decking, it doesn't need deep posts holes like a fence as there is no lateral force, the hole down to firm soil is purely there to give a solid base and restrain it a little.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back