how to tell if system half drained?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
OK, got the towel rail on the wall. I'm about to hang another rad then will drain down to connect up.

Both these are upstairs. Is there an easy way to tell when the system is empty upstairs. I don't want to completely empty it if I don't have to.

It's an Ecotec 837 combi. Presumbly the routine is:

1. Turn off boiler.

2. Connect hose to drain tap and turn on. Go round opening bleed valves upstairs.

3. Do my stuff.

4. Turn boiler back on and open tap on filling loop until pressure correct. Go round and bleed rads one by on. Keep repressurising till done.

I was going to add a bit of x100. but I'm not sure what's in it at the moment. I found an empty bottle for Salamander Corrosion Guard under the floor, but somehow I thought I'd seen and emtpy x100 bottle. Does it matter if I mix? Or shall I wait until all this is over and get somebody else to competely drain and refill (the boiler needs servicing anyway). Will a few weeks without much inhibitor in it do any harm?

Many thanks, Mike

Thanks, Mike

Sponsored Links
Drain down.....with a combi you should have no worries over airlocks etc.

There should be no issues with mixing inhibitors but if you have drained completey it won't be an issue anyways.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back