How to tell which type of supply?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How to tell which type of supply my house has?

It was installed 9 years ago(as house was newly built).

I have looked at the "For reference" thread, but as the incoming supply to my house goes directly into a sealed box, how can I ell if it is TN-C-S or just TN-S? :confused:

Many thanks for any advice given.

supply.jpg

Sponsored Links
its either TN-C-S or TN-S probablly TN-C-S but your right you can't know for sure without opening the cutout (which i don't reccomend) or possiblly taking some measurements (e.g. measure both PN and PE loop impedance and look to see if there is any difference).

I can't read what that label says, but given that it all looks fairly new and very neatly done, I'd be surprised if there wasn't a proper PME warning label if it were TN-C-S.....

Looks PME to me too.

I think that cut out is only used on TN-C-S.

Would be nice to read the green writing though.

Sponsored Links
from the bits of the green writing i can make out it seems to be a warning to check bonding before connecting earth which would suggest PME.

As in the picture, it states

earth.jpg

"Connect to common earth on customers installation only after insuring satisfactory cross bonding of services. Use 16mm2 earth cable"

Below is a picture of the boxes immediately to the left of the first picture.

rest.jpg

thanks.

IMO the likliest interpretation of that notice is that you have got TN-C-S.

That is a PME curout - only has a single brass neutral - (no split brass with a link).

Neatly done......Looks a pigs ear to me!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back