Pond Supply

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently had a dedicated pond supply installed in my garden, all very proffesionally done and very good price, however a friend of mine got talking of how he had to have an earth rod installed on his shed due to his supplier earthing being TN-C-S.

It got me thinking and there definately isnt a earth rod installed in my garden the supply to the pond is protected by a 20A MCB and a RCD with 30mA.

With my earth system being TN-C-S would an earth rod have to be installed for the pump supply in the garden.

The run is about 30M and the cable looks like maybe 2.5mm SWA may be bigger, this is terminated in a junction box in the garden to which the pond supply is connected.

Any thoughts would be appreciated

thankyou

Sponsored Links
There is no metal parts around or near the pond atall the pond is constructed from plastic and has a junction box connected to the pond pump which is 4 meter's away from the pond.

Its possible your pont pump doesn't even need an earth, many are double insulated. I take it is a submersible type?

I'd say installing an earth rod in this situation is very excessive and you're fine as you are, given the description I have seen of the installation, many wouldn't even bother with SWA or RCD protection!

Sponsored Links
Yes the pump is submersible mate, on inspection of the junction box in the garden, i see that the pump has no earth connection however the SWA which is 3 core has the earth terminated in the junction box and the house end also

No problems there matey, as long as the SWA has been installed either surface clipped (along a fence/wall for example) or buried to 18 inches, you're all good.

Happy Fishkeeping!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back