How to test ceiling for asbestos

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I bought a house with horrible textures on ceilings. I think the ceilings are about 10-15 years old. How can I check if it is asbestos, to know if it is safe to sand it down?
Thanks,
Dan

Sponsored Links
You're very unlikely to be able to sand down artex. You'll never get it flush and you'll lose the will to live.
Get the ceilings skimmed is your best bet.
As long as your sure its the last 10-15 years, there wont be asbestos but if you google there are various kits and companies offering a testing service

I bought a house with horrible textures on ceilings. I think the ceilings are about 10-15 years old. How can I check if it is asbestos, to know if it is safe to sand it down?
Thanks,
Dan

The only way to know for sure is to get a company in to take a sample for testing! It's not expensive and will give you piece of mind.

As for sanding smooth, I agree with dcdec and depending on the size of the ceiling you might be surprised (in a good way) by the quotes on a re skim.

P.S
This link is maybe worth a read; http://www.asbestosregisters.co.uk/asbestos_products/asbestos_textured_coating_artex.aspx

Sponsored Links
How do you know it's Artex, could be pollyripple or one of their other dreadful textured coatings.

Dec

How do you know it's Artex, could be pollyripple or one of their other dreadful textured coatings.

Dec

Which means without knowing what the finish is or what is contained within then you must presume that it contains asbestos and the HSE guidance with regards to asbestos should be followed.

Good points. Thanks.
I bought a test kit and will send a sample to the lab.
If I do skim the ceiling, how long do I have to wait afterwards before painting over?
Also, how difficult is skimming? (for a person who didn't do much diy before)
Is it worth trying or should I not even consider

Thanks
Dan

Plastering is difficult which is why there is a four year apprenticeship.
Get a local guy in - give the work to a Brit.

Which means without knowing what the finish is or what is contained within then you must presume that it contains asbestos and the HSE guidance with regards to asbestos should be followed.

Personally I wouldn't have it tested. Artex 10-15 years ago, highly unlikely to contain asbestos. Even if it did which I don't think, its a minimal amount and this work is non licenced anyway. The risks are low.

Regarding the HSE this does not apply to a DIYER carrying out work in their own home. Only employed and self employed persons, hence the Health and Safety at Work Act.

It can be assumed that any building/work constructed after 2000 will be free of asbestos. Asbestos in artex was stopped before then. Using vobro's methods we would presume all suspect materials in even the most recently constructed buildings would contain asbestos unless we had it tested.

Life ain't that perfect Vibro, we do have to apply a bit of common sense now and again unless your part of the Health and Safety Police that is.

Try googling the effects of traffic fumes, you'll never leave the house again :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back