Are cracks in Artex enough damage to release asbestos?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I know that not all artex ceilings even contain artex but for the ones that do, are small hairline cracks enough damage to release asbestos particles into the air?

The reason I ask is that I have artex ceilings that have small cracks in them, so going to get them tested but just wondering if these cracks are enough to upset the asbestos and release particles into the air or is it fine unless you drill/sand the artex?

Thanks in advance[/u]

Sponsored Links
No, cracked artex won't release enough asbestos fibres to be measurable.

Drilling the odd hole in it won't be at all dangerous either.

You have nothing to worry about unless your planning to pull the ceiling down, and even then the risk is minimal if it's just asbestos in the artex.

if you get it tested you will know (if) it's asbestos, and if you know its asbestos you have to follow all the rules.

Especially if you know it's asbestos and are asked about this when you come to sell the house you will have to answer truthfully.

Some of these things it's better not to know ...

Agree with ^^^^^^^^^^

Get a firm in and they will more likely say there is a Possibility that the Artex contains Asbestos, and you should take the necessary precautions, ( You are paying for their report) This leaves them in the clear and you with the problem for the future.
As Lower pointed out its not worth worrying about, there must be tens of thousands of properties with Artex Ceilings around.

Sponsored Links
Any damage will potentially release fibres, so be careful.

Textured coatings with asbestos typically contain around 5% asbestos, so drilling a hole is going to be very small amounts of asbestos.

A small risk but a risk anyway.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back