Artex and asbestos

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I'm a DIY novice and have just done something pretty stupid. I've drilled a small hole in my artex ceiling to hang something from. I've now just been reading about the dangers of artex and asbestos. The house was built circa 1979, what's the chance of asbestos being present? Is there anything i should do to minimise damage to myself or family? How long are the fibres in the air? I gather hoovering is not a good option.

Any help or advice would be really gratefully received as i'm currently wetting myself.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Well stop wetting yourself, the amount of asbestos that was found in Artex was minniscule, so get yourself some dry strides and stop worrying. ;)

Dec

Agreed. Artex containing asbestos is classed as low risk, so low you don’t even need a license to remove it; you’ve nothing to worry about drilling a small hole in it. ;)

I was exposed to the real stuff in a previous life, more years ago than I'm going to repeat on here. Exposure is a long term risk, I'm still here with no symptoms but there is nothing whatsoever I can do about it. Fait accompli, it’ll either get me in the end or I’ll die of something else; but we all die of something. :LOL:

Sponsored Links
back in the sixtys lots of things were made from asbestos, my school buildings, our farm buildings, prefab houses, brake pads, loads of dust from them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back