Asbestos in artex...

That's an interesting post.

Without taking away from those affected by brown and blue asbestos caused illnesses, I also believe that there seems to be too much hysteria about asbestos in general. As I mentioned in that previous post, chrysotile was used in Artex brand products and wasn't as dangerous as the other forms. That said, I would still take as much care as possible when removing it because, even though we are told things are safe, many years down the line we are often told differently.
I can understand it is extremely dangerous for those who worked with/encountered the other forms on a regular basis, but the average person probably breathes in asbestos fibres in some form on a daily basis, without ever knowing it.

Sponsored Links
All asbestos is dangerous, white, brown and blue. White being the lesser risk. I would think one off removal of decorative coatings is a small risk, multipul exposures will be a lot more dangerous.

From a legal standing its was your fault and not your dads, its the propertys owner that must inform any person doing work where any asbestos is.

All asbestos is dangerous, white, brown and blue. White being the lesser risk. I would think one off removal of decorative coatings is a small risk, multipul exposures will be a lot more dangerous.

From a legal standing its was your fault and not your dads, its the propertys owner that must inform any person doing work where any asbestos is.

Exactly this, my old man did a fair bit of artexing during his working life, he's now terminally ill with lung cancer which, according to the doctors, was caused by the asbestos in artex

Sponsored Links
I was told it takes about 20 years from exposure for the symptoms to become apparent

If you look on the internet, you will often get lots of different years when artex asbestos stopped. I think genuine Artex, stopped in 1984, and a competitor in 1987, and generic Artex in 1992. My house was built in 1995, so shouldn't contain Asbestos Artex, but planning on getting the artex checked to see if there is any Asbestos before skimming.

The company 'Artex' did indeed remove the asbestos from their product in the early/mid eighties because they replaced it with a product called 'Artex AX', I remember at the time moaning how inferior it was compared to the old stuff. The confusion starts though with the other companies who made similar ceiling compounds like Clintex, Suretex, Wondertex etc. There seems to be uncertainty regarding when they removed the asbestos from their products. It's impossible to guess which one is on any given ceiling. I know loads of 'Artexers' who never used Artex, they favoured one of the others like Wondertex which was very popular amongst decorators for years.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back