Plastering over an artex ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm having a low grade asbestos containing Artex ceiling plastered over to provide a smooth finish. Does anyone know if this is normal practice or do people normally have this type of Artex removed first? We just want the ceilings to look more presentable and of course we want to hide the asbestos/Artex from any future buyers ;)

Also, is it safe to drill into newly plastered ceilings, for example to put up a mobile in a child's room? I'm concerned about disturbing the asbestos coated ceiling underneath.

Any tips / info gratefully received.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
You may regret not having the artex ceiling. A recent survey has revealed that avocado bathroom suites, stone-cladding, garden gnomes and artex ceilings are coming back into fashion.

shaggy said:
A recent survey has revealed that avocado bathroom suites, stone-cladding, garden gnomes and artex ceilings are coming back into fashion.
Well I don't think my next door neighbour garden gnomes are coming back since it went on holiday last year and no postcard either :LOL:

How do you know the Artex contains asbestos?
How old is it (the house and the finish)?

Skimming Artex is a common way of getting rid of the stuff. Also boarding it over with fresh plasterboard and skimming.

Sponsored Links
yep it's definitely got low grade asbestos in it - I had a survey done. Anyway, thanks masona, that article was v. useful, I think skimming over it is the simple solution. cheers

survey done by an independent tester or by an asbestos removal company? how old is the artex ( i know its immaterial as you are having it plastered)

I had samples taken by European Asbestos Services, an asbestos removal company. It's a mid-1960s house, but no idea how long the asbestos speckly ceiling effect has been here, I've just moved in and am not prepared to wait around until it comes back into fashion!! :LOL:

ah a removal company, no surprise youve got asbestos then! Skim it. its not dangerous if left undisturbed. I thought it was back in fashion....damn better get rid of all mine then!!!!

Thermo

You can also try this http://www.decoratingdirect.co.uk/viewprod/e/ECOXTEX/. I've just tried it on a ceiling, it works pretty well. It makes the Artex all sticky, and it gets a bit messy. However, no dust! On the other hand asbestos is nasty stuff, so maybe you're better off just leaving it...

Just a a word of warning, if used on a plaster board ceiling (like the one I used it on) you're likely to have to do a bit of plastering afterwards as well. Because when the Artex was originally painted on it softens the plaster board, and you get tiny, tiny grooves.

I wasn't joking, artex really is coming back. A mate of mine does plastering and artexing. He went through a period of skimming over artex but now he is doing more artex. The reason it went out of fashion was because of these stupid 'house make-over' programs that told people what they should and shouldn't have in their own homes. Those rubbish programs should be banned.
I like artex myself although I can only do a big stipple.
(I may have over-stated the case for garden gnomes though)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back