Removing artex ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi i fully appreciate that this is a query that has been asked and written about a hundred times, however i've got a few questions that i was wondering if anyone could honestly answer.

I have an artex ceiling that contains asbestos that i want to remove as i'm moving an internal wall and doing various things to the ceiling. The ceiling area is only about 3 metres square and so relatively small. I have done hours of research over the dangers of asbestos in artex and about chrysolite etc. I gather the level of danger etc is in some dispute from certain people and what to do with aretx is also a hot debate.

I have a wife and two young children and so i have no desire to put anyone in any danger. What i'm asking is if there is a safe way at all, without calling in the professionals to remove this small section. According to the HSE it can be removed using a wall paper stripper as long as you ensure you are wearing protective clothing and a mask and the artex is fully wet through.

I've also heard of a product called xtex by eco solutions.

Can anyone tell me honestly which is the best option and if either one is a relatively safe option, or actually whether i should definitely get the pros in. Lots of people write about just skimming it over, however if i'm doing lots of drilling in the ceiling for the renovation this is just masking the problem not dealing with the issue of asbestos which is my concern.

Any help would be gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
How many people have died from Artex? You've done the research.

This is part of the problem though. One person will say that it is almost harmless (unless sanded etc), the next person says one fibre and you'll get cancer. With this in mind i'm just trying to find out the best advice possible

I read that the biggest risk is the dust in your loft. For decades, brake pads were made out of asbestos - and they wear down in use. Most of that black dust in your loft is from brake pads. Where do you stop? (not referring to brake pads now,) :mrgreen:

Sponsored Links
The risk of asbestos within artex are considered low. The artex is well bonded in and normally only makes up around 2%. Its quite difficult to release fibres. Under the Control of Asbestos Regulations this type of work is non licensed.

Follow the advice from the HSE web site and you will be fine. If you can't get a H type hover then sheet up the whole room and dispose of at the end of the job. Clean up with a mop and water. Seal up around the door with tape if your concerned about contaminating the rest of the house. Use a disposable FP3 mask and a suitably rated asbestos disposable suit.

There are still many trades people out there that still have no clue that artex can contain asbestos.

hi Ive just bought a cheap house that needs total renovation, i think it has a few artex walls and ceilings :cry:, I have just viewed comments re asbestos :eek: , this is news to me. How do I know for sure its artex and can I just get it skimmed as it looks nasty! lol.

Jenny, just get it tested before you do anything, its about £30 to £40 to test a small sample and this will confirm what is on your ceilings.

If you wanted to get the ceiling plastered over, the plasterer could help you with info on testing if he is any good.

Good evening!, thank you for advice, I appreciate it, have been told today that asbestosis takes approx 20 years to develop . . . . . so no worries there then! :LOL: .Hope I,m doing this forum thing right, going to total house renovation to chat about. . . polystyrene! think i need to get a life :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back