How to tidy this rough patio edging....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,
We moved in to our house in the winter and have left the garden untouched really so I'm finally turning my attention to the it now that weather is getting better.

I'm planning on returfing thel awn but before I do that I want to rectify a pretty untidy job from whoever built the patio originally.

From one corner down that edge of the patio there is a rather large concrete/cement flaunched edge to it of varying thickness where it meets the garden grass and i'd like to tidy that up but i'm struggling of thinking the best way to do it.

Do any of you have any recommendations? I would like a nice tidy line which i can run the lawn up to and against it.

t4hrd55.jpeg

Here is a closer look at the edge i'm referring to on the left!

One idea I had was to take a stihl saw to it in a straight line and pull away any loose concrete then fit some kind of edging but i'm not sure what sort of edging would be appropriate as I don't want to concrete anything else in.

Sponsored Links
I agree, straighten the edge then lay some blocks on a hard core and sand base the width of the blocks. Then add top soil and turf to bring it level with the patio, which will support the edges of the blocks. You want the turf just slightly higher than the blocks/patio to make mowing easier.

I agree, straighten the edge then lay some blocks on a hard core and sand base the width of the blocks. Then add top soil and turf to bring it level with the patio, which will support the edges of the blocks. You want the turf just slightly higher than the blocks/patio to make mowing easier.
Is it imperative that I bring it all level? The garden slopes somewhat and the patio is even higher compared to the grass level on the edge you can't see in the picture and so to bring it level with the patio will require a hell of a lot of extra earth.

I should note since that picture we have removed the two raised beds at the end of the garden as we want to level that out for a gravelled area in front of the shed and across the back (with the view to decking it in future years but just to be a quick fix for this summer).

Sponsored Links
Not imperative but just makes mowing easier. Can be a bit of a chore edging against brick etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back