How to to put Matt over Silk

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I recently had 4 rooms in my house skimmed as the house is a victorian terrace with terrible walls.
I have painted 2 rooms but I have used silk emulsion. I didn't really think about what I was doing and now I HATE the shiny finish. After reading lots of posts, I've also realised that it is probably not sensible to paint over new plaster with silk anyway because it will stop the plaster "breathing"???
My question is, What can I do?
I want to paint the rooms matt instead but I have also read that I cannot paint over the silk with matt. The thought of sanding down the walls is heartbreaking and the worry of the paint cracking if I paint over with matt is going to undo the amount I have just paid to get my nice flat walls.
In short, I am an idiot who is in desperate need of advice.
Please tell me there is a solution?!!!!!!
Rach

Sponsored Links
i ha)ve no advice apart from i bought a flat, that had matt painted over silk/shiny emulsion and it was CARNAGE to take off. the minute i wiped the walls down with some water to clean them before painting, the paint started to bubble.

Not a trade person, so no idea, but would be surprised if theres any other option than sanding... (is it not worth it longrun anyway if you've had everything done nicely? - you'll soon forget the sweat and tears :)

Before these internet painters put the fear of the "Lord" up you :LOL: firstly - try a bit :eek:

Buy Dulux trade vinyl matt, and paint a section and see if it's o.k. if it's not, I have another solution for you.

I am an idiot who is in desperate need of advice.

Nahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.........

You have done the right thing by coming on here and asking advice from us experts...and growler... :evil:

If you dont fancy rubbing the walls down,,,give them a coat of soft sheen first...then matt.

Sponsored Links
your lucky if the Silk hasn't already started peeling off.

My mum and dad painted over new plaster and it all started peeling off a few weeks later. It was a nightmare getting it all off and repainting with a matt.

Before these internet painters put the fear of the "Lord" up you :LOL: firstly - try a bit :eek:

Buy Dulux trade vinyl matt, and paint a section and see if it's o.k. if it's not, I have another solution for you.
Hi
whats the other solution to putting matt over silk without all the rubbing down? and will it stay on long term
cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back