How to use PTFE tape?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

looking for some guidance on using PTFE tape on a threaded joint.

I read somewhere on the forums that you should "break" the therad of the joint by striking it across the threads using a hacksaw balde (in the same way that you'd strike a match on a box of matches) and that the tape should be wound on clockwise as you look at the joint.

But how much tape should you use? Should you use enough so that the joint goes together quite easily or a bit more so that you have to use a little force or even more so that you have to use a lot of force?

I guess this might be one of those experience things but any guidance much appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Pickup";p="1658987 said:
Hi folks,

looking for some guidance on using PTFE tape on a threaded joint.

the above video is spot on for the technique for applying ptfe tape,he only used 6 wraps,for radiator tails I would use between 12-15 wraps,as a rule you should be able to screw the joint together 2-3 times by hand before having to use a spanner to finish the joint.

Sponsored Links
Thanks folks,

it's actually a new shower arm (and deluge head) that I'm fitting.

There's an existing wallplate elbow fitting that I just need to fit the arm to.

thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back