Acrylic bath fittings what jointing compound to use

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am just about to assemble bath fittings for an acrylic bath and I believe that I have read somewhere that jointing compounds should not be used with plastics/acrylic bath fittings but to use ptfe tape and maybe silicone.If you use silicone then it is very difficult if you have to undo the fittings.
Do you use ptfe only on threads by itself or ptfe and silicone together.
Any advice on the use of ptfe/silicone/jointing compound with plastics/acrylic would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
None.

As long as everything is fitted properly its all fine with everything that's supplied.
Only time i use silicone is a blob under the top hats. Dont ever use silicone on your water fittings i.e your cold/hot water joints. Will cause tons of hassle, wont do anything as a water seal and will effect the water quality.

Plus if you ever need to use a jointing compound on your drinking water supply it must be potable.

P.S Can always tell when a job has been diy'ed, miles of PTFE around conex threads. :LOL:

On the bath waste threads you mean you don't need to us ptfe tape and it is OK, everywhere seems to say use the ptfe tape ?

Sponsored Links
bath/ basin wastes is best with silicone sealant. on both sides of the wase, ie under the lip in the boel and on the underside, then smoothen / wipe off neat.

Yep no jointing compounds allowed on plastic just like on Storage tanks. Over time it will break down the plastic.

Many thanks for the replies, following your advice (LMannix) I will use the parts as received and a little silicone onthe top hat maybe.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back