Jointing compound query

Is now the time to confess I do occasionally smear a little black swan on olives over 28mm?

:p

Charnwood... balance of probability suggests the OP is playing with dinky little 15mm copper compression fittings.

JohnD will be along shortly to explain how to wrap 2 miles of PTFE around it all to hold back the water ;).

Sponsored Links
OP is playing with dinky little 15mm copper compression fittings

Mmmm, yep – dinky 15 compression and push fit, err oh, and 22 and 28 including a fair amount of soldering, err in fact, I've totally replumbed my 3000 sq ft house, ripped out all the copper, have zoned it with 6 motorised valves, installed UFH in a 47sq m kitchen, installed a pressurised HW cylinder, and fitted the boiler! But used JC on all my compression joints! :)

So u have done all that diy work in your house and u still keep asking why you dont need to use any jc! Muppet

Sponsored Links
So u have done all that diy work in your house and u still keep asking why you dont need to use any jc

Yep, was under the impression you had to, as I have since I first started doing any plumbing 8 years ago, it's ok to check isn't it? Didn't know you didn't have to use it... hardly Although this thread has really resulted in tw@ts going off on their own stories about how they get off on using their lube!

You really don't need j.c. But I like to.

Some years ago on site work I installed a bunch of radiators with 15mm tails to copper, compression, no compound used. The bulk of the carcass was concealed and in speedfit. The carcass was then air tested at 10bar (rad valves closed).

The lad testing complained that a few of my compression joints blew apart between 6 and 10 bar.

Since then I have fallen into the habit of putting a tiny smear of Slictite j.c. on all my compression joints: as much to lubricate and ease tightening up as anything else.

But,short of a 10bar pressure test, you really don't need to use it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back