How to vent a wc.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking for options here.

We're cutting down a large bathroom with a window to a toilet and a (dry) utility room (there's another bathroom in the house).
The toilet will be on the inner side of the room, so, no longer has a window.
The void above the ceiling is not continuous (annoyingly, it is on one side of the room, but that side no longer reaches an outside wall because of an old extension).

Only option I can think of is to put a boxed in vent along the top of the wall (as per red lines in image below).

Any other options anyone can think of?
Would it be inappropriate (or even illegal), say, to just passively vent into the the utility room that has the window? Just bouncing ideas at either end of the spectrum ...

large vent.jpg

(In case anyone asks - to move the toilet to the window side means excavating a concrete floor to get to an underground soil pipe, or putting it through the wall and then putting in an external soil pipe into the underground one, which already has a load of other stuff draining into it.)

Attachments

• small vent.png
    small vent.png
    25.1 KB · Views: 32
  • large vent.jpg
    large vent.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 31
Sponsored Links
If you are talking about venting the toilet, how in your diagram does the vent meet the current stack?

What is the venting arrangement you currently have?

Sorry, possible confusion of using 'wc/toilet' as the room and the item. I'm talking about venting the proposed new small room with the toilet in it.

The middle wall next to the toilet pan is the proposed new wall. The whole two sections illustrated either side of that wall are currently one room that was previously a full bathroom with bath, toilet and washbasin. The current venting arrangement (upon purchase) is/was the window. It's an old house (that was a dodgy HMO conversion being converted back).

Ventilation / extraction of air from the proposed enclosed toilet (smells, moisture) to meet Building Regs. https://www.planningportal.co.uk/pe...g-regulations-need-for-additional-ventilation
I suspect that either decorative ductwork or boxed in will be needed with a mechanical extractor.

If there's no door to the toilet (lock the utility/toilet when in use) then one might argue that the opening window could purge vent the whole area room when/as required? ;) If no BR inspector will ever see this project you could probably bodge it as you see fit.

Sponsored Links
Thanks. Yeah, I think it's got to be the 'visible' duct. Dumb question perhaps - am I right in the assumption that the fan goes at the inner (room) end of the duct, rather than at the outer wall end?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back