How to wire a ceiling rose that has 7 wires

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm trying to rewire a ceiling rose, and I made the very silly mistake of not photographing or checking the initial wiring before I took the previous fitting down.

I seem to have 7 wires coming in through 2 cables. I can't seem to find any information about what to do in this situation - every diagram I find is for more or less wires!

The light point is on its own circuit, though I think the original installer may have thought there were multiple lights on the circuit. What should I be wiring to the Live & Neutral of the light (I know where Earth goes!)? Should any of the wires be looping (I think so?)?

Photos attached of ceiling wires and switch wires (it's the switch with the grey & brown pair of wires I believe - second one down).
EfPVR.jpg

NMRHv.jpg

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
IF conventional wiring at the rose has been followed, the grey with the sleeve may be the switched live and is the lamp live. The black may be a neutral and should be coupled to the blue. This combined pair form the lamp neutral. The two browns may be a loop live and should be connected together and then terminated into the rose 'loop' terminal with no connection to the lamp. The two bare wires forming the cpc should be firmly connected together and connected to the lamp earth terminal.

Is there a second light fitting that is involved somewhere here?
Can we see more detail of the wiring behind the switch, including any terminal block that may have blue or black wires terminated in a separate block? Like whatever is under that insulation tape.
Do you have multimeter, or other mains test instrument (NOT a neon screwdriver)?

I'm trying to rewire a ceiling rose, and I made the very silly mistake of not photographing or checking the initial wiring before I took the previous fitting down.
Then you are left with a choice between Plan A and Plan B.

PLAN A:
PLAN B:
  • Get an electrician.

There are some irresponsible people here who will tell you that there is a Plan C, which is to start trying different things without really knowing what's going on, hoping to get it working by luck, or by blindly following instructions to put-this-wire-in-that-hole without any idea as to why. Please don't listen to them - you must know what, and truly understand what, you are doing. Electrical-installation-by-guesswork is a foolish idea. There is no Plan C for anybody sensible.

Sponsored Links
Is there a second light fitting that is involved somewhere here?
Can we see more detail of the wiring behind the switch, including any terminal block that may have blue or black wires terminated in a separate block? Like whatever is under that insulation tape.
Do you have multimeter, or other mains test instrument (NOT a neon screwdriver)?

There is a second light fitting which is also a ceiling pendant and it's possible the fitters *thought* it would be on the same circuit so began wiring it that way, though it does actually have its own entirely independent switch/circuit.
I do have a multimeter, which I generally use for electronics - not so familiar with using it for household voltages.

OK. I guess that second fitting is on a separate dimmer plate to the light fitting in question?
Does that second light fitting work at the moment, or is it also dead?

I am thinking that maybe there was an interconnect in the pendant that you took down?

You could try this:
terminate the ends of those bare wires in the ceiling in some insulated block, so it is safe.
test between the grey (with sleeve) and the black and see if you get 230V when the dimmer is turned on

Stlll need more info on the wiring at the dimmer itself.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back