how to wire a light switch connected to two lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all,

i bought a light switch today (2 way Double light switch) and looks like below (i attach pic)

im going to replace this with a dimmer as dimmers dont play well with LED lights

now the old light switch 2 lights are connected to it, hence why i bought a double light switch, how would i wire it up to this new light switch please as i was hoping to see like a 13 amp plug socket, earth live neutral but as you can see theres COMM and L11 etc

thanks,
rob
20240104_192917.jpg

this is the old switch

20240104_193036.jpg

as you can see they have 2 different boards so to speak for the different lights so its much easier

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
sorry for the blurry pic

in first screw theres a red wire and third screw theres a black wire, the second screw is empty

exactly identical on other socket, apart from theres blue and brown cables instead

so im guessing both Coms neutral goes in and L11/L21 live?

Showing us a clear pic of the wiring and terminals identification on the old switch would enable us to give more specific replies.
There are NO neutrals connected to the switches.

Sponsored Links
LOL, there clearly labeled on the old switch so this is going to be easy i think, aslong as the wires reach the new socket holes

so what do com and l1 and l2 mean?
20240104_211111.jpg

20240104_211318.jpg

so lets take the bottom pic

C in com1
L1 in L11

the other socket
C in com2
L1 in L21

Last edited:
Correct.
L2 terminals on old switch would be used for two way switching ( where a second ,remote,switch would also operate the same light fitting). Not relative to your situation.
By the way, you are not working on sockets they are switches.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back