How to wire thermostat?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Got a new thermostat with terminals 1, 2 & 3. Got Red, Yellow & Blue but don't know how to wire it. Anyone able to help? It's a Sunvic TLX4101 if that helps.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
An educated guess here... you'd really be better off double checking the colours.

Red = 2
Yellow = 1
Blue = isolate in a connector block.

People sometimes use different colours, so check other end first.

What make model was the old stat an did you note the connections on that.

Sponsored Links
other end possibly in the wiring centre if you have one, not eay to follow sometimes.

Or could be at the boiler.
What system do you have? Conventional or combi?

Yes as above what were the previous connections and make and model of previous stat

don't know make of old model its my aunts house so cant check at the mo. I noted other as 1=R Y=3 B=2.

I treid wiring new as same but fuse blew when turned it up then tried rewiring old and same happened so now not so sure I noted it correct?

The colours you say sound like the standard honeywell connections.
Let us know once you've tried the connections I stated above.

On some stats blue is often a neutral.

Your new stat dont need a neutral as it is a changeover switch, if you mistakenlly had connected a neutral ,it would be dead short in one position, may possibly have knackered your new one now.

Old thermostats had a resistor which heated up to reduce the difference between on and off temperature. These units needed a neutral connection. New thermostats don't need this resistor so no longer need the neutral connection which one would hope would be blue wire.

So londonboy connection is likely correct.

may possibly have knackered your new one now.

How likely is this? I'll try again tomorrow. Thanks for all replies!

You say it blew the fuse, hopefully that may have prevented damage.
Unfortunately the stat contacts, are not always highly rated, as they do not pass much current and a short could possibly weld them closed.

You can check the stat without connecting it.
If you have a continuity tester you can test the stat. as you turn the dial the connection will toggle between 2 and 1 OR 2 and 3, you may also hear a click as it changes over.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back