How to work out if my soakaway is alright...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

We've been on a bit of a journey with our drains since moving in to this house....

I won't bore with details. But in a nutshell, the previous owner had diverted the waste from the kitchen and washing machine so that instead of going to the septic tank it went either down the side of the house or into the rainwater soakaway.

We've got things back to how they should be now, more or less. WM and kitchen are now reconnected to septic tank. However, there was a hell of a lot of sludge and muck in the rainwater soakaway pipe which we had to clean, and part of the process involved finding and exposing the soakaway itself.

Here's some pics:

1. The house itself, showing all the roof space which collects the water for the soakaway (to give an idea of volume):

2. The soakaway when I first exposed it.....:

3. The soakaway after removing more rubble and soil to get to the end pipe:

Same from further away (to get perspective):

Same, close up:

I don't really know much about soakaways, but it struck me as a bit odd that so much rubble was above the end pipe rather than below. Is that normal?

Aside from that, is it possible to tell from these pics whether things are as they should be? I don;t want to fill it all in only to find out later that there's a problem.... I also have no idea how big the soakaway is. I don't want to expose more unnecessarily, and certainly don't want to expose more and cause damage by doing so.

If anyone can offer any help or advice I'd appreciate it hugely. Would be nice to get the garden back to normal at some point and to have peace of mind that everything is ok in drains department!

Cheers

Max

Sponsored Links
Not quite my idea of a soakaway from what I can tell from the pics, but if it works, leave it alone! Failed soakaway would lead to water backing up the pipes or a waterlogged area of ground. With the current weather it doesnt seem very likely it'll be needed very much anyway! ;)

If problems arise in the future then may be just as easy to abandon the existing setup and build a new soakway in a suitable position.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back