How would you remove these DG beads without destroying them?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
AlpineBeadprofile2.gif

They are about 20 years old. ALPINE double glazing co. Now defunked.

I can't move the bead forward, as you can see from my crude sketch of the window frame, as it is secured at the rear AND the bottom.

Doesn't matter if the rubbers are removed, you can't use a flat stiff scraper tool to push the bead forwards and lift from the Frame.

My idea is a hook to lift the front of the bead clear of the T section, and then move the bead forward.

But I have to design a tool to slip down the 1mm gap between the bead and the glass. (assuming rubber seal removed without destoying it.

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
First take the all the gaskets out front and back, then push the unit back against the frame this will give more room between the bead and the glass. Then take a claw hammer and place the claw of the hammer between the bead and the glass and prise the bead away from the glass.

This does mean applying pressure on the glass but it can be done with out breaking the unit.

Thanks for your suggestion.

A claw hammer? You may be right about the strenght of the glass, but I am not so sure.

I should have given some measurements and said also that these are VERY VERY tightly fitted. There is no flex or movement at all.

The gap from the glass to the bead is just over 1mm.

Even if all the rubber seals are removed from behind the glass, there would only be about 2mm.

And removing the seals because of the type, means destroying the seals. They are VERY tight in there. I am trying to avoid unneccessary costs if I can.

I don't think a claw would go down the gap even if I were to try it. Unless it was a very small claw hammer, I suppose. Like a tofee hamer with a claw.

But anyway, using a claw in this fashion would only result in pushing the bead back even more onto the rear groove that engages with the window frame.

There would be NO upward pressure at all, because the claw could not be inserted deep enough down the gap to exert any. And it is UPWARD, not BACKWARD pressure that is needed.

No, with respect, what I need is a way to get a hook down the gap and then LIFT.

I am working on a design, but would welcome any ideas.

I'll add to my picture to show you what I mean about the gap between the glass and bead.

Meanwhile, thanks

They look like security beads, we use to have a tool to remove these. Get a piece of rectangle metal about 1-2 mm thick 2 inches wide and about 3-4 inches long, bend about 20 mm of the length up to form a L shape and that should do it, lever it against the glass , job done

Sponsored Links
These beads are located on the front lip then knocked home at the back so they come out in the reverse of that. There is/was a special tool to remove these beads available from the extruder but i doubt you'll get one now.

What i used to do was to sharpen a putty knife, push it into the front as if you were removing an ordinary bead then hammaer it through, cutting through the front lip till it hits the back upstand, then just push down on the putty knife and it lifts the back up, the damage caused to the bead is covered up once its relocated

Hi both.

Thanks for confirming that there is or was a special tool. I did wonder if there must be. And suspected they were a security feature of some kind.

The beads and frame were made by LB Plastics. For Alpine. If that helps. I googled them and they seem to be part of a larger group now. might give them a ring on monday and ask for the hell of it, if they still have the removal tools.

The reason I have a picture is that I took this bead from the kitchen/garden door lower composite panel.

I forced a thick wire hook down between the composite and the bead and hooked it up. It damaged a portion of the bead and the composite, but as its in the corner and low down on the inside it hardly shows. I am reluctant to do that to my externals though, esp as its glass and not composite. Knowing my luck I would break the glass.

The kitchen door is internally beaded, unlike my windows which are externally beaded.

Yes I can see how the sharp putty knife will do it, and if I cant do it with the L shape metal suggestion I'll give that a go.

I've already part fashioned a 1mm thick piece of angle braket into a crude hook. So I'll try that first.

I might refine the putty knife to a thin terminal screw driver. A 1mm hole will hardly show and will not remove so much of the front lip.

Anymore ideas very welcome as I wont get to this for a few days at least yet.

I'll lay a bet that a burglar would know how to lift them. :LOL:

Got em off. And they were bloody tight.

Here's is my home made tool.

The first one I tried it on was on an opening window. I managed to move/compress the external rubber seal along an inch from the corner of one of the upright/vertical beads, and slid the hook in. But just pulling on my hook with a T bar handle attached just caused the frame to flex. I guess 20 years of stiction or something. But the clips are pretty tight.

So, I ended up attaching it to a slide hammer, and gently shocking the beads up.

IMG_9131.jpg

IMG_9129.jpg

Anyway thanks for the replies, and please free feel to comment on any improvements to my crap home-made tool,--- bearing in mind of course that it did work. So far. :)

I have a four windows to replace. So I am hoping its all plain sailing from now.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back