Removing external beading to replace sealed unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm having a bit of trouble getting the external beading out on some uPVC windows to replace some misted sealed units. I've attached a photo and drawing in the hope that someone may be able to advise me. In the drawing, X and Y are probably a little under 1mm.

I can get a stiff beading knife in there, but there's so little lip to work against (i.e. X is so small) that I can't get enough purchase to start unseating the bead without chipping the lip off.

There's no internal removable shuffle seal, and the external 'seal' looks to be part of the bead to me, as it's absolutely uniform all round, i.e. not been pushed in afterwards.

From the outside it looks like there might be some tape at point A, but the uPVC frame goes right up to the glass on the inside.

Any advice on what this setup is called, how to proceed, or where to get replacement bead if I screw it up would be much appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_4492_extBead.jpg
    IMG_4492_extBead.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 161
  • externalBead.png
    externalBead.png
    3.9 KB · Views: 162
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back