How to remove beading from externally glazed UPVC window?

Spray the tape with glass cleaner, it deactivates the glue for a time and lets you slide the unit around sideways as the height is set by the amount and thickness of your bottom packers, after an hour the glass cleaner evaporates and the glue comes back, thats a handy fitters tip for you

Sponsored Links
Spray the tape with glass cleaner, it deactivates the glue for a time and lets you slide the unit around sideways as the height is set by the amount and thickness of your bottom packers, after an hour the glass cleaner evaporates and the glue comes back, thats a handy fitters tip for you

Fantastic tip, thanks very much :)
I'll report back after I've fitted the new one.

Thanks again for all your help. Eventually got the new unit fitted today without issue. :)

Just reading through this and I have a suspicion that this window is round the wrong way... the drainage at the bottom is pointing into the house if the beading is on the outside is it not? This would explain why the beads were so easy to remove and why there are strips of double sided tape

Sponsored Links
You're right, the drain holes are on the inner side, but drain into the void of the frame. It wouldn't surprise me if it's made the wrong way round tho. BTW the house is part of a development of about 80 houses, all of which have/had the same windows.

Alan did you have difficulty with this beading I have exactly the same and seem to be having problems removing it do you have any advice which would be useful much appreciated.

External bead .

Attachments

• IMG20211019160758.jpg
    IMG20211019160758.jpg
    215.4 KB · Views: 139
Ha ha and thats the third type of bead which i was going to mention but thought theres no point as it won't be that type, i haven't seen those in about 20 years easily, think its an old synseal or sheerframe profile and there is a special tool to remove those beads, think from memory it slips down between the outer gasket and glass. It all becomes clear now why the internal gasket isn't acting as a wedge to lock the beads in place because the beads don't shuffle back or forth, the refit the bead first you locate the front lip into the groove and then lower the rear of the bead down, tapping home with a plastic mallet and thats the bead locked in. The double sided tape is security tape and is there as a failsafe in case a burglar got the beads out
@crank39 , i know this is an old post, i ran into some of these and cud not get the beads out, the glass had the double sided tape but the beads were on outside and impossible to get off, there was one window which was an opener so i took that off the hinges and once i had it flat on table with enough leverage i got the beads off , but the on the windows which i cant get onto the table, i cant get the beads out, coz not gettting enough leverage before i knock into the wall, can u point me to the correct tool pls!?

also does the double sided tape have to go around all 4 sides on the full length or just part way (meaning is it just for security or also for droughts?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back