Can't remove beading from UPVC window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am trying to remove the external beading from a UPVC window so I can replace the glass but I can't get them off. I have tried using a glazing tool and some paint scrappers but the beading is incredibly tight and requires a lot of force to move it just 1mm. I haven't managed to move it any more than this so I suspect I am missing something on need a special tool. Any ideas would be great.

Here is the outside.
FB_IMG_1551905048547.jpg

And the inside
IMG_20190306_204518.jpg

The inside seal does not appear to be removable as it is attached securely to the window frame, however it is not glued to the glass at all.

The windows are 5 years old.

Any help would be great. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Would have thought the internal bead should be removed? External removable bead would be a security risk .

There is no internal beading, it is definitely external. Just can't identify the system and how to remove it.

Removing external beading might/will break the beading and may damage the window

Blup

Sponsored Links
I am trying to remove the external beading from a UPVC window so I can replace the glass but I can't get them off. I have tried using a glazing tool and some paint scrappers but the beading is incredibly tight and requires a lot of force to move it just 1mm. I haven't managed to move it any more than this so I suspect I am missing something on need a special tool. Any ideas would be great.

That beading looks the same as mine. Check out this thread I created when I had similar problems - there are pics there with the beading removed. My technique for removing was to use this window bead removing tool (as suggested by Notch7 on that thread), starting at the middle of the long run. You can see from the first pic in reply #13 that the middle and bottom 'legs' of the trim catch onto the raised section on the frame. Ideally you need to pry/slide the beading 'up the glass' rather than pry away from the frame. Once I got a bit started it came off easily.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back