UPVC Window Beading

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is there any regs about window beading on upvc windows? Just bought a new build and the developers have installed windows with the beading outside and someone (not surprising) has removed the beading and broken into the empty houses. All my other houses, the beading to replace the glass has always been on the inside.

Sponsored Links
How old is the house? New security regs came in in October.
If the job was started before then I dont think there were any specific regs but I would assume if they were that easy to get into it could be argued they are not fit for purpurce

The regs for double glazing that preclude the glass being removable from the outside have been in place for many many years. It is hard to believe that any double glazing company in the UK is selling/installing units that do not conform to this requirement.

I challenged my double glazing company when I had glazing installed around 10 years ago as the new units had beading on the outside. They explained that the units were fully compliant to security regs because it is impossible to remove the beading unless the gasket that is on the inside is removed first.

I checked this detail out as the units were installed by the professionals - and it is was correct. it is a major effort to install the gasket and the gasket holds the window very tightly against the beading. Any any attempt to remove the external beading whilst the gasket is in place will result in the beading ripping/breaking - but continuing to hold the glass firm.

I am not an expert on glazing - but having the beading on the outside is unlikely to be the real/only problem here.

Have you tested whether it is possible to remove the beading on one of your intact windows (with no access to the inside)?

Regards
Geoff

Sponsored Links
I checked this detail out as the units were installed by the professionals - and it is was correct. it is a major effort to install the gasket and the gasket holds the window very tightly against the beading. Any any attempt to remove the external beading whilst the gasket is in place will result in the beading ripping/breaking - but continuing to hold the glass firm.

I always like to test the security when I am ripping out an old window. I basically never have any problems getting the beads out of an externally beaded window (although it often wrecks the window and beads). It doesn't matter if its a PVC or aluminum window the beads come out fairly easily.
But if the glass is fitted with security tape (it wont be if there is an internal wedge gasket) or if the glass has security clips then that is as far as you will get without breaking the glass.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back