Howto fix crappy damp mortar fillet?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I am redoing my kitchen - just pulled up the old laminate floor and found this underneath.

The main concrete slab is dry but it looks like the previous owner put down ~10mm mortar on top of earth when he redid the back door and did noting to stop moisture wicking though into the floor.

I dont have any real idea what the best way is to get this dry. I appreciate any ideas/suggestions/tips.

The best I can think of is to chisel the area out to the depth of the original slab, prime the join with waterproof PVA and infill concrete with a waterproofer (
just got this no nonsence pink admixture. I am worried this may not be enough in terms of priming the join or if I would need a DPC too?

As it is just a small area I was wondering if there was some kind of impermeable product I could use rather than concrete.

My plan was to level the floor with Wickes fibre reinforced latex levelling compound before tiling the floor.

Now I have searched the forum I see that latex based stuff may be weak - I don't know if this would be a problem under tiles and if I should go for something like f ball stopgap 100. I live literally next to a Wickes which sways m buying choices a lot ;)

The whole kitchen is 2m x 4.3m and difference between high and low point is about 10mm.

Sponsored Links
Could be a number of things !!

First, it might not be damp/wet... it's possibly just a different mix thats had too much cement added and looks a different colour. Also, most concrete floors should have an expansion gap around the perimeter, maybe the gap has been filled in more recently ? a bit hard to tell..

Did you mean 100mm mortar as opposed to 10mm ?

Also, if that is a relatively new back door and fitted correctly, its unlikely to be moisture.

Thanks for the reply.
It is certainly damp coming through the mortar. It was wicking through into the laminate floor and there was an earthy damp smell when I pulled it up.
Now it has been exposed for a few days it has dried out and changed colour.

I did mean 10mm, maybe 20mm - most of the work done by the previous owner has been a bit dodgy. There is no expansion gap on the long sides of the room, I think the single skin brick walls are actually sitting on the slab.

Sponsored Links
There are actually slates underneath.
The main slab of concrete appears to be about 30mm thick concrete on tarred paper.

Working purely on guess work I primed with waterproof PVA and, put down a little patch of DPM, primed again, then filled in with 1:1:1:0.5 concrete, sand, PVA, water.

Seemed to work.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back