What is the minimum depth of a screed?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an unven concrete solid floor that used to have quarry tiles on it. Other parts of the floor are level with the quarry tile, so I am thinking of removing the tiles, then screeding back to the same level. There's also some small areas where I have buried pipe that need filling too.

One floor fitter said that latex would be fine but latex is normally 3mm thick. The quarry tiles are about 10mm. Would screed work as thin as 10mm across the floor, or is it likely just to crack and come off?

The trouble with applying thicker screed is I either have to raise the level of all the other floor - or break up the existing concrete (obviously a far larger job!)

Sponsored Links
i would not be comfortable laying a direct sharp sand and cement screed at less than 40mm.

no less than 60mm with dpm.

no less than 75mm with u-floor heating and include a binder.

10mm is way to thin for screed. You could use smoothing compound (not latex) . acrylic is best. Either deep section or a filled mix, or two seperate coats allowed to dry between.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back