Levelling a Quarry Tiled floor ready for solid oak flooring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, first post so be kind! We're almost finished renovating a 1920's house. The final room we're doing was once a kitchen, and has a quarry tiled floor, laid directly onto the earth (it seems). It's incredibly uneven, and currently (because of other renovations) sits about an inch and a quarter below the adjoining floor.

We have some 19mm Solid Oak T&G to lay in this room, but obviously I want to prep the subfloor as well as I can to ensure the longevity of the Oak, as well as matching the height of the adjoining tiled floor.

I'm considering these options:

1) Full on sand and cement screed to give me a difference of around 25mm to the adjoining floor, enough for the self adhesive style underlay to accommodate the Oak floor.
2) Latex self leveller, followed by a layer of 12mm Ply on which I will again use the self adhesive underlay. But how do I secure the ply to the latex/quarry? I don't want to screw and plug the quarry tiles, for obvious reasons.
3) Attempt to take out the unevenness of the floor using battens of varying thicknesses (it's sunk in the middle quite badly), bonding these to the quarry (using what I don't know?), and then secret nailing/screwing the Oak into these.

Anybody that has any advice or ideas would be our saviours. We've had a couple of 'professionals' in to quote, and they all have wildly differing ideas.

By the way, having the Oak floor down isn't a deal breaker - it's a small room (10 x 12) and the flooring we have is overage from another couple of rooms so if we have to choose a different flooring then so be it.

Many thanks guys

Sponsored Links
No - not unless we absolutely have to! It's how we can build the subfloor up and get it level ON TOP of the quarry tiles - from what I've read/been told, getting up the tiles will then involve laying a new floor to current building regs - i.e. digging down, DPM, Insulation, Screed. The floor isn't wet, just very uneven, it doesn't seem (to us) like we need to get it up? Thanks in advance

quarry tiles need to come up, dig down a massive 7cm or so and install DPM, insulation, screed.

Really is not a big job and for the size you quote it will be done in 1 day?

Are you really sure you want to float a solid on underlay? Floating floors became fashion for fake wood- like laminate.

Whats your reasons why you want to float on self adhesive underlay? Personally if you want to float the floor then use a engineered flooring.

PS, you cant see moisture.

Sponsored Links
The floor is breathing at the moment with the quarry's down. Once is covered up moisture will build up under the floor.

So you think I should go down the battens route? Have you ever come across anyone doing this before Daz? If so, how did you fix the battens to the quarry tiles? Any recommendations on adhesive? Many thanks

I don't do wood floors mate, not not sure how you would do that.
But if going down that route I would say make sure no damp can get near the would.
Hve you not looked at having amtico or Karndean put down?

I don't do wood floors mate, not not sure how you would do that.
But if going down that route I would say make sure no damp can get near the would.
Hve you not looked at having amtico or Karndean put down?

Amtico and Karndean would suffer all the same issues that wood will.

Hello ????

Mods i replied last night to the op but me post is gone? When deleting posts you should have the decadency to tell us users why?

Anyway, as my reply seems lost.

Me answer was NO "sorry im not interested in quoting for you. I only do bespoke work. We could possibly look at specking a job for a fee.

Im a trainer for them. "

Sorry, to clarify, the prep is still going to be a big issue, the product won't simplify the under lying issue the OP has with the subfloor.

Yes Dave your spot on there mate. The prep is the key.
If I was doing this job in LVT I would want the old sub floor dug up and a new one in or Ashpalt.
On a few quarry's which are well bonded I have used Ardex NA and dpm 1c and had great results. But it's more of a risk.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back