Preparing a floor for sheet vinyl

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Would appreciate guidance on a subject I know little about...

I intend to have sheet vinyl laid over both new and existing floors. The new floor, which abuts the old, is floating concrete screed (should be sufficiently dry by end December). The old floor was sheet vinyl (now removed) over quarry tiles with a few old concrete patches. I've scrapped off remnants and cleaned the old quarry tiled/concrete floor and can see that the floor is quite uneven (+ or - 10mm at a guess). Also, I believe there is no damp proofing beneath the tiles or old concrete patches. The old, original tiled floor (circa. 1958) is set onto concrete screed straight onto hardcore & earth.

Question is: what's the best "belt-and-braces" floor preparation for my circumstances?

Something like this perhaps?

https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/how-to-use-self-levelling-compound-for-concrete.80333/

And what trades-person would do such work? I'm wary of having the sheet vinyl laid by a high street chain who don't give much thought to the best solution but simply skim over with latex self-levelling compound (because that's what they always do) - or am I doing them a dis-service?

Thanks in anticipation.

Sponsored Links
Best get a pro in really. DW Flooring is in Kent so could be the man.
I’d be going with liquid dpm sandwich.
Either F.ball , Ardex or Uzin.

Thanks for the advice, dazlight.

Unfortunate, assuming this is the company:

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/07615206

Best get a pro in really.

I gladly would but I don't know how to find one. Seems to me that finding a person to do a 'proper' floor preparation & vinyl laying job is far less obvious than finding a builder, gas engineer, glazier, plumber, electrician etc.

No mate.
Dean white Flooring. He is changing form DW design Flooring to inspired floors.
As there are a few DW Flooring I think.
He’s based in ramsgate

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advice, dazlight.

Unfortunate, assuming this is the company:

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/07615206

I gladly would but I don't know how to find one. Seems to me that finding a person to do a 'proper' floor preparation & vinyl laying job is far less obvious than finding a builder, gas engineer, glazier, plumber, electrician etc.

Yep if you don't want all the imperfections to show through and it doing properly.
As Daz says it's a bit more than just throwing down some SLC, but that is essentially the solution to your problems. theres ways to self level a floor and ways to self level it properly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back